Should I Switch from Heating Oil to Natural Gas?
Posted: November 18, 2019
If you’ve been considering making the switch from heating oil to natural gas in your NJ home, you may want to put that idea on the back burner: in most cases, sticking with oil heat in a cold climate like ours is a better decision than converting to another fuel source.
Why stick with heating oil rather than converting your home comfort equipment to natural gas? Here are five important reasons:
- More heating bang for your buck – A modern oil-fired furnace or boiler is super-efficient, with some models reaching ratings into the mid 90 percent range. While some natural gas equipment can boast efficiencies that high, keep in mind that burning oil creates 40 percent more BTUs than burning the equivalent amount of natural gas, so you’ll need less of it to get the job done. Another thing to keep in mind? The cost to convert your heating equipment to natural gas can set you back almost $10,000.
- More durable equipment – Oil-fired boilers and furnaces are built to last, with average lifespans that more than double those of their natural gas-powered counterparts. They are typically easier and less costly to maintain and repair, too.
- Cleaner air – Today’s ultra-low sulfur fuel oil emits almost no pollutants; natural gas, on the other hand, accounts for 18 percent of total global methane emissions – a powerful contributor to global warming and climate change.
- Abundant supply – Domestic oil production has reached its highest point since the 1970s; as a result, supplies are plentiful and costs are down – two trends that most experts expect to continue for the foreseeable future. Natural gas supplies are already starting to feel the strain of high demand.
- Safety – Ever hear of a heating oil tank exploding? Neither have we – but that’s not true of natural gas. And unlike natural gas, an oil heating system heat poses a very low risk of carbon monoxide poisoning; if an oil burner malfunctions (most often due to a lack of heating system maintenance), the safety devices in the unit will simply shut the furnace or boiler off.
Still not convinced that heating oil is the best deal for your North Jersey home? Contact our experts today and let’s talk about it.