Get More From Your Cooling System: 8 Ways
Posted: May 18, 2020
Getting the best performance possible from your cooling system is important any year, but it’s especially important in 2020 as we spend more time at home than usual in the coming weeks and months.
The good news is you don’t have to spend a lot of money to get better performance from your home cooling system (although sometimes investing in an A/C upgrade can be a good thing – especially if your current equipment is more than 10 years old).
Here are 8 ways to get the most from your A/C as summer approaches:
8 Pre-Summer Air Conditioning To-dos:
- Focus on the filter – Replace disposable filters regularly during the cooling season, and thoroughly clean other types of filters just as frequently to keep your system working at its best. You may need to clean or replace your filters more frequently if you have pets or smoke at home.
- Keep the outdoor unit clear – If you have a central air conditioning system with an outdoor compressor, make sure it’s free from debris and anything else that will inhibit airflow. Remove plants, leaves, dead branches or other items, and don’t grow shrubbery too close to the unit. Aim to keep a clear space of about two feet surrounding the unit. Keep it shaded if possible for best performance, too.
- Program your thermostat – Keeping your house temperature just a few degrees warmer when you’re outdoors or asleep can save you money on energy bills and reduce wear and tear on your cooling equipment.
- Use fans to keep air moving – Fans can make a huge difference in the feel of indoor air – especially when your A/C is running. You can set your thermostat 3-4 degrees warmer with a ceiling fan running without losing any comfort – and much more economically.
- Install reflective window treatments – Invest in high-quality window treatments, such as reflecting blinds or drapes, to cover larger, sun-exposed areas where heat would accumulate due to the greenhouse effect.
- Attend to your vents – Clear items that block vents, and clean them to remove dust. Open vents only in rooms that need the most cooling. Consider investing in a professional duct sealing if you find that your cooling bills are rising even though your A/C usage is similar to last year.
- Avoid high-heat appliances – Take advantage of your outdoor grill, and try hanging your clothes outdoors to dry.
- Consider an A/C upgrade – The performance of air conditioners has come a long way in recent years – particularly when it comes to efficiency. In fact, today’s units can be twice as efficient as models that came out just a decade ago. With that kind of improvement, a new A/C can pay for itself in just a few years – especially when you consider incentives (contact us to learn more).
Whether you’re considering a central air conditioner upgrade or just need an A/C tune-up or repair, Fredericks Fuel is here for you. Contact us today for a FREE, no-obligation estimate on a central air conditioning installation in New Jersey!
Please note: Once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, we expect a surge in installations that could back us up for weeks. If you are ready to upgrade your home cooling system, lock in an appointment time with a deposit so you’ll be early on the list.