Cool smarter this summer: 10 ways to ways to cut your cooling bill
Posted: July 3, 2018
Summer has officially arrived here in New Jersey – time to crank up the A/C and enjoy the cool comforts of home.
Just do it smartly!
Try these seven cost-effective tips to help you cool your home for less summer.
- Cool only the rooms you use – If you have central air conditioning, close vents in rooms you don’t use, or consider installing a zoned cooling system.
- Minimize the use of heat-making appliances – Avoid using appliances that generate heat (gas stoves, ovens, clothes dryers, etc.), especially on the hottest days. Be mindful of the heat electronic devices like home printers produce, too.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Use the timer on your thermostat to run your house slightly warmer when no one is home and when you’re sleeping; you can expect to save about 3-5 percent per day on air conditioning bills for each degree you raise the thermostat, says the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy.
- Set a reasonable temperature – When you’re home, target a temperature of about 78 degrees – a temperature the Department of Energy says represents the best balance of comfort and energy savings.
- Use fans – By running ceiling fans, you can raise your thermostat by about four degrees with no loss of comfort.
- Check and change air filters regularly – A dirty air filter cuts airflow, causing your air conditioner to overwork. Check your HVAC filter monthly, replacing or cleaning it when needed.
- Install window treatments – Reflective window treatments can send solar heat back where it came from. Check out this Department of Energy link to learn more about energy saving window treatments.
- Get an air conditioning tune-up
– Performing routine A/C maintenance won’t just keep your equipment running better, it will also help prevent premature equipment breakdown.
- Invest in insulation – Summer heat is drawn to your comfortably air conditioned home; without sufficient insulation, that heat will simply move through your exterior walls, further taxing your A/C and raising your cooling bills.
- Consider a cooling system upgrade – A new high efficiency air conditioner can save you 30 percent on your monthly bills compared to your older model, which means it will pay for itself in just a few years – especially when you consider NJ energy efficiency rebates and manufacture’s incentives.Our experts can help you choose a cooling system that’s a perfect match for your home and lifestyle, with options available from quality manufacturers in all sizes and configurations. We’ll help you sort through your rebate options, too so you’ll get the most for your money.
Contact Fredericks Fuel & Heating Service today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a new high efficiency cooling system for your Northern New Jersey home!